Slashing Bread Loaves

"Werner Gansz" <wwgansz@madriver.com>
Sat, 8 May 2004 10:43:18 -0400
v104.n023.4
Most of the breads that I bake are soft dough, high hydration breads.  I
have never been able to make clean, angled slashes in these loaves.  The
wet dough always sticks to the blade which then pulls the skin into a
wrinkled mess.  I have tried lame's, single-edge razor blades, sharp
kitchen knives, all with both ice water or PAM or vegetable oil as
lubricants.  None worked.  They are ok on firmer dough but invariably pull
the soft loaves.  Has anyone found a good slashing technique for wet dough?

Werner