tortillas

Gonzo White <g2w2@prodigy.net.mx>
Sat, 15 May 2004 18:14:19 -0500
v104.n024.1
I am not sure what you are asking when you ask for a corn tortilla recipe
that doesn't have wheat in it. Only flour tortillas have wheat in them,
Corn tortillas do not.

I live in Mexico and most of the tortillas here are made from a corn flour
that comes in a bag.  But I have seen them making them from Corn.  They
grind the corn (it's a special variety of corn, not the corn on the cob
kind) add water and cook.  So I did a search on Google and yes indeed there
are only two ingredients in corn tortillas corn and water.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/may98corntortillas.htm

The ingredients for tortilla making are incredibly, and somewhat
deceptively, simple. There are only two: corn flour and water. We could get
so basic as to detail the process of making corn flour with parched corn
and slaked lime, and grinding the resulting product ourselves, but no one
would do that. And besides, there is a product made by The Quaker Oats
Company called Masa Harina that makes an excellent corn tortilla. Masa
Harina may be difficult to find in some, principally northern, areas of the
U.S., and you may have to ask your grocer to order it for you. It can also
be obtained by mail order, although it is a bit pricey ($3.95 for 2 pounds,
plus shipping), compared to what you pay for it in a local supermarket.