Normandy Rye 2 lb. (Bread Machine)

"Russell J. Fletcher" <acoder@xprt.net>
Sun, 23 May 2004 11:11:04 -0700
v104.n025.6
                     *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                    Normandy Rye  2 lb. (Bread Machine)

Recipe By     : modification of recipe from Breads From the La Brea Bakery
Serving Size  : 15   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : 1 Gm Of Fat Per Slice Or Less    2 Lb. Size
                 30 % Cff Or Less                 Bread Basket
                 Bread Machine                    Fletcher
                 Rye                              Starter

      1/2  cup           cool water -- SPONGE
    1 1/2  teaspoons     malt syrup (barley malt syrup)
      3/4  cup           Rye starter
      3/8  cup           bread flour
      1/2  cup           dark rye flour
      1/2  cup           cool water -- DOUGH
      1/2  cup           fermented apple cider
    3 5/8  cups          bread flour
    2      tablespoons   gluten
    2 2/3  tablespoons   dark rye flour
    1 1/2  teaspoons     sea salt
    2      teaspoons     active dry yeast
                         vegetable oil spray

1.0 gm of fat per slice 4.7% CFF

Add the 1/2 cup water, barley malt syrup, rye starter, 3/8 cup bread flour,
and 1/2 cup dark rye flour to make the sponge.  Cover the bowl tightly with
plastic wrap and leave the sponge at room temperature for 24 hours.  If it
is hotter than 80 degrees F leave it at room temperature for 8-12 hours,
then refrigerate for the remaining time.

To make the dough, add the sponge and remaining ingredients in the bread
machine.  Set the bread machine for large white loaf.

The original recipe was for 2 loaves, in the oven, with a slow rise, and no
yeast.  I modified things slightly and experimented until I got the amount
of yeast right.  It also called for getting fermented apple cider from a
wine shop.  So far, I have just let some unpreserved apple cider ferment in
the refrigerator for a week or so beforehand.

---
Russell Fletcher CCS-P    acoder@xprt.net
Battle Ground WA USA   <*)))><