braided bread in the round

Gonzo White <g2w2@prodigy.net.mx>
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:18:27 -0500
v104.n032.9
Here is a recipe I make quite often.  I modified it a bit to use the bread
machine for the first knead.  (I am lazy).  I will make a rather deep bread
in a 12 inch round pan (3 inchs?).  If it were I making this I would use a
larger round pan, like a deep dish pizza pan.  Or perhaps just leave some
of the dough out, when you put the dough into the pan,  if you really want
a 12 inch round bread.

Onion Lover's Twist
1970 Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest winner

This is my favorite bread recipe. I have modified it a bit from the
original which I got out of a Pillsbury cookbook. This is what I make every
time I have company. It tastes absolutely fantastic and its even better
toasted the next day. (If there is any left).  Its a bit more work then
usual but its worth it.

BREAD
4 cups bread  Flour (ap can be used)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tea active dry yeast
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 egg

FILLING:
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seed
1 teaspoon garlic salt

I put the water, milk, butter and egg in the Microwave and warm up a wee
bit.  Then add all the bread ingredients to the ABM. Set for dough and
press start. Keep an eye on it as this is 4 cups of flour (It will work in
most 3 cup AMB's).  I have to help the mixture get started in my ABM.  Stir
it a bit with a small rubber spatula.

Grease large cookie sheet. Melt 1/4 cup margarine in small saucepan; stir
in remaining filling ingredients. Set aside.

When dough is ready. Take out of ABM and punch it down   to remove all air
bubbles. Roll dough into 18x12-inch rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise into
three 18x4 strips. Starting with the long side roll up into a 18 inch long
tube. Place all three tubes on the cookie sheet oblong from corner to
corner. Braid and pinch the ends together. Now take the filling and using a
teaspoon put the filling under the braids. You should have just enough
filling to put into every crack on the loaf. Spray with a non stick spray
and cover with a piece of Plastic wrap. Let rise for about 45-60 minutes,
remove plastic and then put into a cold oven (Do not preheat) Turn on oven
and set at 350 F.  Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and the loaf
sounds hollow when lightly tapped. I have found that I prefer this bread a
wee bit on the light side rather then a deep golden brown. To me it tastes
better (more moist). This will rise more in the oven and makes one very big
beautiful loaf.  Its really not hard to do and it looks fantastic.