Re: Baking stones, kiln shelves, granite, etc.

aqn@panix.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:10:31 -0400 (EDT)
v104.n036.4
Raj B Apte <raj_apte@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Instead of 'baking stones' or quarry tiles I use kiln shelves purchased
>from a local ceramics supplier. These are much cheaper and stronger (and
>heavier). Mine are 2cm thick.

Good idea about the kiln shelves.  I wonder if there are any poisoning
issues with them;  probably not, since you're still here.  |-

Also, I hope you meant "cheaper than baking stones", 'cause it's difficult
to be cheaper than quarry tiles!  I bought 6x6" gray quarry tiles at Home
Depot for $0.95 each!  A quick look via Google indicates that kiln shelf
tiles are cheaper than baking stones, but certainly not quarry tiles.  For
example, this place:

http://www.crloo.com/Products/Fusing___Glassworking_Supplies/Kiln_Shelves___Posts/kiln_shelves___posts.html

lists 15x10x3/8 kiln tiles for US$19.80.

>Maybe too thick to bake a loaf, but I always bake 2-3 at a time. I paid
>us$20 each for half-sheet sized stones.

Wouldn't thicker be better?  More heat retention => smaller temperature
drop when putting the dough in, etc.?

yguaba@yahoo.com.br wrote:
>Instead of buying a baking stone from an expensive gourmet goods store, I
>went to a stone vendor (i.e. one that sells custom-cut marble and granite
>for flooring, countertops etc) and had them cut a piece of the cheapest
>granite exactly the size of my oven.

Another good idea!  Thanks.

Andy Nguyen