bread stones and wood-fired ovens

nonbearded.2590910@bloglines.com
5 Aug 2004 06:14:27 -0000
v104.n036.9
I plan to make a wood-fired oven (using Kiko Denzer's instructions).  Had
anybody else on this list done that?  I'm really excited about it.

I read that somebody is using scrap granite for a bread-stone.  I live in
Japan, so I have to do a lot of making-do-with-what-I-can-get.  They don't
sell bread-stones here, but granite grave-stones (haka) are big
business.  I know I can get a scrap slab for cheap or free from one of the
several cutters in my town.

So the question is, can granite stand the 700 degree temps that these ovens
reach?

Thanks,
- Forrest
Iwate, Japan