Toying with Susie's low-carb bread

Diane Purkiss <purkiss@purkiss.demon.co.uk>
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:14:40 +0100
v104.n042.16
I adapted Susie's recipe to make it a wholegrain loaf, as follows

2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup whey protein powder
1/2 cup coarse wholemeal flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup wheat bran
1 cup ground flaxseed (ground in coffee grinder)
2 sachets instant yeast
Salt to taste - I added around 1 Tb, to soften the rubberiness a bit.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup warm half and half
2 TBs macadamia oil

Kneaded it for 10 minutes in the big Kenwood.  1.5 hours first rise.  1
hour second rise in two 1 lb loaf tins.  Bake 30 minutes at 190 C, and then
test.

It rose very well, with good ovenspring, and a good, firm, golden,
caramelised crust.  Crumb was still - well, elastic - but less so than with
all-white because the bran broke up the gluten strands.  Sliced well
too.  Alas, this does raise the carb count, but not too horribly because
bran is mainly fibre.

Thanks Susie.  Hope you don't mind my tinkering.
--
Diane Purkiss