Re: in the news and bread for subs

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:20:15 EDT
v104.n045.4
"Anita" <anita@ncwebsurfer.com> wrote:
>This week's time  magazine has a two page article on the current
>popularity of artisan Bread Baking for the home baker.  Rose and Maggie
>were quoted.
>
>Thought you would all like to know that we are "in Vogue".
>Anita Flanigan

thank you anita!!! when i read your headline i was really curious what this
could be--never dreaming it was the time magazine article! it was a great
surprise!

i'd like to add that the two home bakers featured in the article are two of
the wonderful people who have been delighting me for months with their
e-mail responses to my bread book. their breads pictured are from the book,
but some are variations of their own by now. i'm so proud to have inspired
people to share the joy of bread baking which such fantastic results.

i also have to share a bread epiphany from a recent trip to the bay area
when i visited a terrific organic/kosher bakery called vital vittles in
berkeley. kass, the owner, and her friend jim, wanted to prove to me that
what i wrote and said about bread made with 100% wholewheat flour being
dense and bitter is not true when you use freshly ground high protein wheat
berries. i discovered that the bitterness was due to rancidity! the moment
i got home, i ground some flour, made a loaf, and adored the flavor of the
100% wheat. though the texture is certainly more dense, it isn't a closed
crumb. in my second loaf i added a little vital wheat gluten and oil which
softened the crumb and gave it a little more lift. i'll also admit to
having added a little of my week old since last feeding stiff sour dough
starter just for keeping quality. it was a pretty perfect bread! another
amazing experience was when kass gave me a small handful of wheat berries
and said: "hold them in your mouth for a few minutes until they soften
enough to chew ." "RAW wheat berries????" i queried. "yes, it's my
children's favorite snack!" was her response. and sure enough--it  was the
taste of a meadow--partly the sweetness of hay/ partly the freshness of a
new mown lawn.

all in all, good thing i said at the end of my introduction in the book
that bread is an on-going process and that one never stops learning!

rose levy beranbaum

"Lloyd Davis" <ldavis47@msn.com> wrote:
>No matter what dough used, ripening the dough in the refrigerator
>overnight before the first rise makes a big difference in the flavor. My
>only problem has been in not waiting long enough after taking the dough
>out of the refrig to let it warm up.
>
>It is probably wise to try to make the bread well in advance to get the
>technique down.
>
>Lloyd

did anyone catch the article i did for the washington post about 3
weeks  ago called "the lazy loaf?" (subtitle: the bread does all the work.)
it was designed to show people how they can fit bread baking into their
busy lives and actually improve the quality of the bread by refrigerating
the dough until the following day or evening before baking. i'd be happy to
post it to the list if there is any interest.

rose levy beranbaum