Help for cinnamon-raison bread

"katie johnson" <kkjohns@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:42:40 -0400
v104.n045.8
Hey all, I am a seasoned sandwich-loaf bread baker.  I took my usual recipe
for sandwich bread and tweaked it yesterday to make a slightly enriched,
wheaty cinnamon-raisin loaf.  I formed the loaves by spreading the
patted-out dough with melted butter and cinnamon sugar, and sprinkling on
raisins, then rolling up tightly as I do with any sandwich loaf.  However,
once the loaves were cool and I sliced into them, the bread had separated
at the very top, between the top crust and the topmost spiral
section.  Does this make sense?  Basically, on a cross-section, the dough
was tightly wound until the top, where it had come apart, leaving a gaping
hole.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, do you know how to fix
it?  I rolled the dough up so tightly during shaping that I didn't expect
this to happen at all.  It still tastes great, but isn't so appealing to
the eye.

Thanks for any assistance,

Katie Johnson