Reviving sourdough starter

"Steven Leof" <sleof.sln25@london.edu>
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:54:39 -0000
v104.n049.7
I could use some advice from the experts. My rye starter has been dormant
in a Kilner jar the fridge for the past four months and now after a hiatus
I'm ready to bake 100% rye. But my starter isn't behaving as expected....

Not seeing anything nasty in the jar but smelling strongly of alcohol last
evening I stirred the starter, weighed 250 grams and added 250 grams each
of flour and water. I put the lot in an earthenware bowl, covered it with
cling film and placed it in a warm spot. 10 hours later (as of this
writing) there has been no movement. Rather than refresh the starter now
should I assume that the cultures have died? Or should I treat the starter
as new and wait up to three days before the next refreshment?

Many thanks, Steven Leof