Thanksgiving Breads

RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:01:25 -0800 (PST)
v104.n051.5
Someone posted that they wanted a bread recipe for the holiday - I have a
recipe for Soft Pumpkin Yeast Rolls but I can't seem to find it but I did
find a recipe in The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook that is similar:

Squash or Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls

1 1/2 to 2 lb loaf

1 winter squash, or 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 tbsp light or dark brown sugar
grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp salt
2.25 tsp SAF yeast or
2.25 tsp bread machine yeast

Preheat oven to 350 F.

If you are using winter squash, wash the squash and cut off the top with a
sharp chef's knife. Take care when cutting, because some varieties are very
hard. Cut in half and scrape out the seeds and spongy fibers. Leave
butternut squash or pumpkin in halves or cut larger squash into large cubes
leaving the skin intact. Place in a baking dish, flesh down, and add a half
inch of water. Cover and bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size
of the pieces, or until the flesh is tender when pierced with a knife.*
Drain, cool, the scoop out the squash flesh andn discard the skin. Puree
the pulp until smooth in a food mill or food processor. You should have
about 1 cup. Cool, cover, then refrigerate or freeze until needed. Warm
slightly in the microwave before placing in the bread machine.

Place all the ingredients in the pan according to the order in the
manufacturers' directions. Program for the DOUGH cycle; press start.

Grease 16 standard muffin cups (one full pan plus 4 cups in a second pan).
When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, immediately remoev the
dough and place on a lightly floured work surface, divide into 4 equal
portions. Divide each of those pieces into 4 equal portions. Divide each of
the 16 portions into 3 portions and form these into small balls aboutu the
size of a walnut. You want them all about the same size. This is important
or else the rolls will look funny after baking. Arrange 3 balls of dough
touching each other in each of the muffin cups. Cover loosely with plastic
wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk; about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 F.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.
Let cool on racks or serve warm.

Note:

* I cook squash in the microwave. I cut it in half lengthwise, then put it
on a microwaveable plate. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkled with
salt and then baked, covered with paper towel, for 10 minutes. Then I try
to pierce it. If it doesn't work, then I put it back in on HIGH for another
few minutes until it can be pierced easily.

This note is just for the dough being made in advance, not the rolls
themselves.

These can be made in advance and baked later, brush the top of the shaped
dough with melted butter. Cover loosely with 2 layers of plastic wrap,
leaving some room for expansion and taking care to tightly wrap all the
edges. Immediately refrigerate for 2-24 hours. When ready to bake, uncover
and let stand at room temperature no more than 20 minutes. Bake as directed.

Makes 16 cloverleaf rolls

RisaG