Re: What Mixer?

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:24:43 -0700
v104.n053.3
"Margaret G. Cope" <mcope@surfglobal.net> wrote a tale of woe:

>Disaster has struck...(not seriously) but my K45 Kitchen-aid died on
>Thanksgiving Day having been on the job for about 25 years

If you are in a medium sized or larger town, look for a Hobart repair
center.  They can repair your KitchenAid like new.

When my mixer was about 10 years old, it started making funy noises. They
overhauled it, lubed it, and adjusted it.  15 years later, it's still
running like a champ.

In the bakery, I have a little Braun mixer for small jobs.  It's nice
enough, though at times I wish I'd gotten an electrolux instead.  My pastry
chef far and away prefers her K5 at home to the Braun.

My own theory on the reported lack of reliability of the newer KitchenAid
mixers is that serious bakers bought the first ones, and then READ THE
MANUALS.  So they know you don't do back to back batches of dough all day long.

The newer ones are being bought by people who are less serious and are from
a generation that doesn't read the manuals.  So, they do back to back
batches of dough, and then finish off the mixer by extruding some pasta.

I believe that KitchenAid did have some bad models, but that they have
corrected the problems.

So, my suggestion - send your mixer to a Hobart repair center, either a
factory authorized center or an independent repair place.

Mike