weighing flour

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:01:23 -0800 (PST)
v104.n054.17
Once more I come to the source(s) of wisdom!

I am considering investing in a scale to weigh my bread ingredients.
However, I am bewildered about establishing weights.

For example, I have a recipe that calls for 5 cups of bread flour.

The weight of brand X is 4.5 oz. per cup. The weight of brand Y is 4.75.
The weight of all-purpose is all over the place!

How do I establish my weights? Do I weigh one brand and remain with it forever?

I know weighing is supposed to produce a superior product. Add to that the
cost of $3 - $4 a loaf of "boughten" edible bread. You can see that I am
ready to invest in that scale.

(Or at least put it on the "Mama wants..." list!)

Feel free to contact me off-line if you wish.

Thanks again, Fredericka