re: looking for tried and true Belgium waffle recipe

Lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:36:28 -0700
v104.n055.11
"Joan & Larry Ross" <rosskat@pipeline.com> wrote:
>I still am seeking a better recipe (yeast or non yeast) for a waffle with
>a crispy outside and moist fluffly interior.

Not sure how fluffy the interior is with this recipe, but outside is crispy
and they are delicious!

Lobo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belgian Waffles

Half recipe (amounts in parens) makes 8 squares (iron makes 2 squares at a
time). Tastes just like those in Solvang, CA!

1 (1/2) package dry yeast
2 (1) cups lukewarm milk (I used sour milk)
4 (2) eggs -- separated
1 teaspoon vanilla (no change when halving)
2 1/2 (1 1/4) cups flour -- sifted
1/2 (1/4) teaspoon salt
1 (1/2) tablespoon sugar
1/2 (1/4) cup butter ­ melted

Sprinkle yeast over warm milk; stir to dissolve. Beat egg yolks and add to
yeast mixture with vanilla. Stir together flour, salt and sugar; add to
liquid ingredients. Stir in melted butter and combine thoroughly. Beat the
egg whites until stiff; carefully fold into batter. Let mixture stand in a
warm place about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk (use a BIG bowl...it
really grows). Use 1 cup mix per waffle. Takes about 5 minutes to bake done
in my Belgian waffle iron.