RE: Mini-bundt cakes

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:07:26 -0800
v105.n001.12
I had thought that bundt pans were particularly-well suited for very wet
batters (such as the one below), because the shape allows heat to rapidly
get to the center of the cake.

But then this article about Shirley Corriher and the accompanying recipes
for tunnel of fudge cake and pound cake (both of which are thick batters
baked in bundt pans), leads me to question my original hypothesis...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/science/28bake.html?oref=login

In any case, my recipe and the two in the article should give you three
good cakes for your mini-bundt pans.

Allen

86-proof chocolate cake
(original source unknown, with modifications by Allen Cohn)

2 T melted butter
fine, dry bread crumbs (or cocoa powder)
5 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 cups (10 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 C dry instant coffee or espresso
3/4 C (2.25 oz.) cocoa powder (optional)
1/2 C bourbon (or amaretto, rum, cognac, scotch)
1/2 lbs. unsalted butter, cool room temperature
1 t vanilla
2 C (14 oz.) sugar
3 eggs (large or extra large)
additional liquor (optional)
confectioner's sugar (optional)

Adjust oven rack one-third from bottom of oven and preheat to 325 F.

You will need a 9-inch fluted bundt pan (10-cup capacity) or pan to hold
12-mini bundts. Butter the pan(s). (I find it easiest to "paint" the butter
on with a pastry brush.) Dust inside of pan(s) with bread crumbs or cocoa
powder.

Melt and cool chocolate over double boiler or in microwave.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

In a two-cup glass measuring cup, dissolve the coffee in 1/2 C
(approximately) of boiling water. (Also add the optional cocoa powder for
an extra chocolaty taste!) Add cold water to fill to 1.5 cup line. Add the
liquor to fill to 2 cups.

Cream the butter in the large bowl of an electric mixer. Add the butter and
vanilla and thoroughly cream. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until
smooth after each addition. Scrape down sides as needed. Add the chocolate
and beat until smooth.

Then, on low speed, alternately add the sifted dry ingredients in three
additions, adding the liquids very gradually to avoid splashing, and
scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Be sure to
beat until smooth after each addition, especially the last. It will be a
thin mixture.

Pour into the prepared pan(s). Rotate the pan a bit briskly, first in one
direction and then in the other, to level the top.

Bake for 55 minutes (20-25 minutes for mini bundts). Cool in the pan for 15
minutes, then cover with a rack and invert. Remove the pan, (optionally)
sprinkle the cake with additional liquor and allow to cool. Sprinkle with
confectioner's sugar before serving.