RE: bagel help

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:50:59 -0800
v105.n003.1
Hi Carolyn,

I've made the recipe twice (cinnamon raisin version) with good success.
Here are the things I found helpful...not sure if they'll address your problem

* To approximate the specified high-gluten flour, I added pure gluten (from
the local health food store) to bread flour. Assuming that bread flour is
12.5% protein and gluten is 100% protein, and using some high school math,
I calculated one should swap out a little more than a quarter of an ounce
of bread flour for gluten in both the sponge and the dough.

* I found it necessary to bake the bagels for 50-100% longer than specified.

* I didn't think the bagels' texture was quite right until several hours of
cooling/drying out (despite their small size).

Hope this helps!
Allen