Moist abm Bread?

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <pedrothethird@qwest.net>
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:19:42 -0600
v105.n006.12
Mar wrote:
>I bake all my bread in the abm.  It tastes great but is a little dry and
>sometimes crumbles easily.  Any suggestions as to how to get the moist,
>springy quality I admire in deli bread?

I agree with Robert.  Taking it out of the machine and baking it in the
oven will do wonders for softness.

In addition:

If you are using bread flour switch to all purpose flour.  I don't worry
too much about conversions.  There is a difference in absorption for sure,
but in a recipe for one loaf it won't be that big a deal perhaps 1/2 cup
more all purpose.

Add 1/2 cup of potato flakes to your recipe.  Be careful, the bread will
rise higher with the flake, but they definitely help to make a softer
loaf.  Again, you will use less flour, but probably not that
much.  Personally I wouldn't worry about adjusting the flour.  It isn't
that big of a deal, but it certainly will help achieve that soft "deli"
effect you are looking for.

Use milk instead of water.  There is a big difference between water and
milk loaves.  Substitute cup for cup.

Up the fat, and switch to butter instead of oil.  IMHO the butter makes for
a softer loaf. Try 2 tablespoons instead of 1.  You could even walk on the
wild side and add 3 tablespoons.  I melt my butter.  It gets incorporated
into the dough more readily that way.

Last of all let your bread raise a little more than usual.  Adjust your
machine if you have to for a longer rise.  However I must restate I agree
with Robert you will get a MUCH softer loaf if you bake it in the oven as
opposed to you abm.

Hope my tips can help.  Funny I haven't posted in a long time, but all of a
sudden there were 3 post in this digest I thought I could help
with.  Anywho I hope this helps.  Happy Baking.

Your Fellow Bread Baking Fiend,
Pedro