Re: About baking in the ABM

Joe Tilman <mrtilman@yahoo.com>
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:03:38 -0800 (PST)
v105.n009.1
>It seems to me those of you suggesting to use dough cycle only are missing
>the point. Those of us using our ABMs want to take full advantage of our
>machines, not just use them fosr mixing and rising. That defeats the
>purpose of spending our money on the machine whenother means of mixing are
>cheaper.

Oh my, I am surprised you didn't get flamed for this :-)  Seriously,
though, I make and bake in my machine a majority of the time -- but I
rarely set-and-forget-it.  At the very least, I almost never bake with the
mixer paddles in.

For all their problems, the original R2D2 bread machines encouraged
observation and interaction, something today's ABMs seem to
discourage.  The biggest problem I have in letting the machine do it all,
is you have to rely on the designers/engineers to have had the same
assumptions you do about the final loaf of bread.

Or try several machines, and the many settings on each machine.  Or get a
programmable machine. Or, don't go fully automatic...

And I haven't even gotten into the holes the mixing paddles leave behind :-

Joe