Need baking stone lessons

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:02:20 -0800 (PST)
v105.n010.1
I am now the owner of a 14 x 16 "Old Stone Oven" baking stone.

The booklet advises pre-heating at 500 for at least 30 minutes for best
crust. I have had advice to let it heat for one hour which, in my small
kitchen, would create enough heat to melt the Tupperware!

The instructions presuppose I am making the crust. What do I do if I want
to bake a frozen pizza?

I think the bread instructions are out of order. After giving rising
directions, the recipe calls for slashing the top. Then it calls for
placing the stone in the oven; "pre-heat oven to 375" and placing the
loaves in the oven.

Shouldn't the oven be pre-heated earlier and for how long?

I would appreciate any advice I receive because anything that comes from
this group is valuable.

Since the instructions for the stone include "place on middle rack", I am
going to try water in a preheated cast iron pan on bottom shelf. (I have an
electric oven so no flat oven floor).

Many thanks, Fredericka