Re: preheat time

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg Forever)
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:33:05 -0500
v105.n011.12
Fredericka writes:  "I think the bread instructions are out of order. After
giving rising directions, the recipe calls for slashing the top. Then it
calls for placing the stone in the oven; "pre-heat oven to 375" and placing
the loaves in the oven. Shouldn't the oven be pre-heated earlier and for
how long?"

Bob the Tarheel Baker sez:  You are correct, Fredericka.  Crank up your
oven for at least 30 minutes.  Each oven is different, but I crank mine up
to 500 or 550 and then turn it down to the recommended baking temperature
just before I put the loaf in.  And, yes, you should slash just before it
the loaf goes in.

The oven spring should open the slashes nicely.