Re: Baking Stones and Milk

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:04:32 -0700
v105.n013.9
Maggie Glezer <glezer@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Regarding baking stones, I have been using one for a long time, and I find
>there is an awful lot of strange advice about it being bandied about.

There sure is...

>I only keep mine in the oven for baking certain breads, and keep it put
>away for the rest of the time.  By keeping the stone in the oven all the
>time, you will really be wasting a lot of energy, because preheating takes
>forever.

On the other hand, when I keep mine in, I like the way roast meat and fowl
turn out much better than when they are are not in there.

>For making bread (and, trust me, it's not worth it for frozen pizza),

Gee... more strange advice.  If you have to use frozen pizza, and I confess
I've done this from time to time, using an oven stone really helps the
crust of the pizza.  It's not like a great pizza, but it's much closer to a
passable one.  Again, it depends on what you want.  I want a CRISP crust,
not a chewy one.

Mike