radiant oven heat and stone in the oven

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:21:39 -0800 (PST)
v105.n015.2
Allen Cohn's wise comments about radiant heat from the top of the oven
remind me of my call to the service department about a newly purchased
Maytag range.

It was explained to me by the technician that when the "dinger" signaled
that the desired heat had been reached, it was the temperature probe that
was at the desired temperature.

The walls were NOT!

He advised adding 15 - 20 minutes to the "ding" time to get the full heat
build-up.

Anyone who has used a counterclockwise fan knows how much heat reaches the
top of a room.

Removing the stone between uses? If I have to clean roast chicken spatters
off the oven walls, those spatters are also going to be on my stone. So
will the residue from eveything else that goes in the oven.

My first stone was quarry tiles on a cookie sheet which I left in the oven.
After several weeks, the heated oven smelled like a cheap diner !)

Fredericka