whole wheat cocodrillo

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:39:58 -0600
v105.n018.12
A couple weeks ago, I made John's version of cocodrillo and really liked
it.  I converted the grams to cups and it worked fine.  Last weekend, I
decided to try putting whole wheat flour in it and baking it in pans
instead of on a cookie sheet.  My changes for the whole wheat flour and the
pans are in parens below.  The inside was very soft (not chewy as when
baked on the cookie sheet), and it was sliceable for use as sandwich
bread.  The whole wheat flour seemed to make no difference in texture, so
I'll try that again outside the pans because I liked the chewiness better.

LOBO'S QUICK SUBSTITUTE FOR JOHN'S QUICK COCODRILLO SUBSTITUTE

Makes 4 small, 2 medium loaves, or 2 loaves in 3"x5"x9" pans

3  5/8 c. white flour (substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour)
18.5 fl. oz warm (30C) water  (I let the yeast grow a while in part of this
with 1/2 t. sugar)
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1.5 t. salt

Mix til roughly combined, then let it rest 10 min. Beat on speed 2 on
Kitchen-aid until the dough draws away from the sides of the bowl.

Tip the dough (it is glop) into a big Tupperware bowl and let rise, tightly
covered, to triple. John says it MUST triple or this recipe will not
work.  I have not tried otherwise.

Pour onto well floured surface, shake flour over, divide into 4 rough
squares and plump gently with hands. Shake flour over loaves and leave
until extremely puffy and wobbly, about 45 minutes.  (I let the whole batch
of glop rise without dividing it at this point ... I should've divided it
though.)

Heat oven to flat out max (which is 550 on my oven).

Free loaves and gently flip over, using floured hands (John recommended
bench knife). Gently stretch to about 10" and onto greased cookie sheet
(all 4 will fit on one).  Dough nearly stretches under its own
weight.  Move quickly.  It will look totally and permanently deflated.  (I
greased 2 loaf pans, divided the dough into 2 parts at this point (again
.. I would divide them before rising the next time) and put it in the pans
with as little handling as possible).

Straight into the raging oven, then after 10 minutes turn it down to 220C
(425F).  Bake to an internal temp of at least 96-98C (204­208 F) if crust
doesn't brown too quickly. (It nearly burned in the pans .. I covered the
loaves loosely with aluminum foil).