King Arthur DVDs

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@ptialaska.net>
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:07:42 -0800
v105.n019.3
I was feeling a bit flush in the checking account and wanted some specialty
items from the King Arthur folks.  I had them send me the bread baking DVDs.

The DVDs were on two subjects -  making artisan (read french bagettes etc)
and sweet breads.  I found the sweet bread DVD had a few technique
improvements, but it was well worth it for me for the shaping of the bread
portion.  The 6 braid technique requires several replayings, but I got it.

The artisan bread presents the techniques for making and shaping artisan
breads including some good technique for handling the dough.  It is a
better way for me to learn than reading books plus trial and error.  Want
to state making crusty french bread?  The DVD is a good way to get started
fast.  The realization of the amount of time and care to get the really
good stuff came through.

The presenter is a senior baker/teacher at King Arthur.  The commercials
are few.  His style is folksy but knowledgeable.  I am not regretting the
money spent.  On the other hand, I am not jumping hard after the full
artisan bread process.  But I am going back to sourdough baking again after
a multiyear gap.  Batteries are recharged for the hassles of sourdough in
exchange for the flavors.

Ken Vaughan in Juneau Alaska -- where the snow is almost all melted and
"greenup" is almost here.