Whole wheat bread in the Zo

richard <kel_en@charter.net>
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:57:06 -0400
v105.n026.11
I had a couple of off-list requests for the whole wheat bread recipe that I
use in my Zo.  One suggested that I post it.  The recipe is a work in
progress, evolving with time.  This is the current version. Note that I
never use white flour or sugar in any baking or cooking so this recipe may
not be to some tastes.

Whole Wheat Bread

1 cup + 2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon molasses
2 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons KA stone ground whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
3/4 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 teaspoon salt, approximately
2 rounded teaspoons Fleischmann's instant yeast

Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Graham flour gives a more nutty flavor and I often
substitute 1 cup this for 1 cup of the KA flour.

I use the Quick Wheat setting on the Zo.  Since I keep the yeast in the
freezer and the vital wheat gluten in the refrigerator, I let the
ingredients come to room temperature over several hours before starting the
machine.  Actually, I programmed the Homemade cycle of the Zo to match the
Quick Wheat cycle so I can use the timer.  Then, I put the ingredients in
the machine the night before, set the timer for 13 hours, press start at 10
p.m. and have fresh bread at 11 a.m. for lunch.

Richard