RE: artisan baking in electric oven

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <pedrothethird@qwest.net>
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:38:08 -0500
v105.n028.5
Of course you can make artisan bread in electric ovens.  Would I
rather have a top of the line Viking oven?  Of course.  Just make
sure you have a good oven thermometer, but then again you MUST have a
good oven thermometer no matter what.  I baked bread in the worlds
junkiest (coil on the stove top) oven in a college owned
apartment.  They had to have been at least 15 to 20 years old.  I was
in two different apartments and the temps varied from the "set" temp
by anywhere from 25 to 150 degrees F.

Yes, you read right: 150 degrees F.  I made some fantastic breads in
those ovens.  Just use the thermometer and bake away.  Okay, I do
have a stone in mine also.  Promise not to tell anyone?  I didn't
have a stone in my oven for my first two years of bread
baking.  Seriously, don't tell anyone - it's a secret.  Just between
you and me though?  The bread I made in those first two years WITHOUT
the stone still blew the bakery bread to smithereens.  That bread
made almost all Bakery bread look like weak girlie man's.  Don't get
me wrong I love my stone and you would get hurt trying to take it
from me.  5'10 300 pounds and years of martial arts training and
weight lifting :-)  Conclusion, IMHO you can make FANTASTIC bread
EVEN without a gas oven and baking stone.

Your Fellow Bread Baking Fiend,
Pedro