fresh milk problem

Bev <retiredtaxlady@direcway.com>
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:35:10 -0500
v105.n037.6
Margaret asked about problems with her bread when she used fresh
milk.  I can say this, "Oh lucky you! Jersey cow milk!!! YUM".  But I
digress.  I used to get fresh milk from friends and would scald and
cool it before baking.  I had read somewhere that the enzymes in
fresh milk created problems with the finished loaf.  Indeed, "old
time" recipes for using milk in bread always call for it to be scalded.

Store-bought milk, already having been cooked to death in the
pasteurization process, has lost those enzymes.

Enjoy!
Bev C