About RyKrisp (aka Rye Krisp)

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Fri, 3 Sep 2005 12:57:03 PDT
v105.n037.22
Having eaten a lot of RyKrisp (the correct spelling) over the years
(although not much recently), I was surprised by Mar's post
(bread-bakers v105.n036.012) saying that it wasn't made anymore.  I
was even more surprised by LAllin's post (in this digest) because
I've never heard of Bremner.

So I went searching...

There are several google hits on the bread-bakers site.  Russ
Fletcher asked for the recipe in May 2004 (
bread-bakers.v104.n021.7).  Marcel Blanchaer posted the same
Norwegian Flatbread recipe from chef2chef (bread-bakers.v014.n022.4)
that lobo posted in this digest.  No other recipes - just lots of
healthy eating sites telling us how good they are.

The Bremner site spells the name "RyKrisp" and the shape of the words
on the box doesn't look familiar.  Everything else Bremner and its
relatives in Ralcorp make are store brands - their crackers are
claimed to be "high quality emulations of the top 20 national brand
products".  So I was sure RyKrisp was also a knock-off and the real
spelling must be "RyeKrisp".  Reinforced by seeing "Rye-Krisp(r)" on
a healthy eating page at a major university, I went to the US Patent
and Trademark office website and found out how wrong I was.

The "Ry Krisp" word mark was registered on Oct 23, 1947 by Ralston
Purina Corp.  It was first used in commerce on Dec 5, 1904.  The
image of the mark has a small stalk of rye between the "y" and the
"K", and the tail of the "y" curves under the "R", just like I
remember.  Go to <http://www.uspto.gov/>, click "search" under
trademark and select the basic search form.  Use search term 71538813
and field "serial or registration number".  After looking at the
mark's image, click the "ASSIGN status" button to see that on Mar 31,
1994, the trademark was assigned by Ralston Purina Company to
Bremner, Inc. to become their one and only product to carry a Bremner
trademark name.

The RalstonPurina website
<http://ralstonpurina.com/company/History.aspx> tells more of the
story - how the company went from selling horse feed to human cereal
and crackers to dog food, a professional hockey team, ski resort and
batteries and finally to just dog and cat foods.

But nothing about how to make RyKrisp :-)

Jeff