Re: more what are English Muffins?

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:13:56 +0100
v105.n039.8
>English muffins are a yeasted bread that is cooked on the
>stovetop.  I haven't made them myself since about 15 years ago, but
>if memory serves me, the dough is more of a batter-like
>consistency.  Usually, you use a ring to contain the batter until it
>firms up, then remove it.  The result is something that about the
>size and shape of a hockey puck.  Probably the closest comparison
>would be a pancake.

Those are pikelets. Nothing like a pancake, which (here at least) is
allowed to spread all over the bottom of the pan.

But you shouldn't need a ring to contain the pikelet batter, let it
spread then it will cook all through.

>The other thing I remember was that it was quite difficult to get
>the middle of the edge to cook properly.

When I was a child they were toasted anyway so had second cooking. It
was a ritual to hold them on a toasting fork against the open (coal)
fire. We don't have those any more in most of the country.  I toast
them under the electric grill when I make them.

Mary