Pane a cioccollato

"Haracz, Daniel" <Daniel.Haracz@ParadigmHealth.com>
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:30:35 -0500
v105.n040.21
Evening, all -

I've got a favorite recipe that just doesn't work.  The bread is a
pane al cioccolato, basically a very lightly sweetened enriched bread
with cocoa powder in the dry ingredients and chopped bittersweet
chocolate kneaded throughout.  It gets a brush with butter just after
baking and is often served with mascarpone.  My girlfriend absolutely
loves it when I make it, but it's never come out to my satisfaction.

My problems are threefold:

First, the pan.  My recipe calls for a high sided (at least four
inches high) six-inch cake pan; I have been unable to locate this pan
in Chicago - any suggestions?  I've been baking the bread as a round
loaf on a sheet - an alternate suggested in the recipe - but I'd
really like to achieve the classic shape.

Second, texture.  Invariably I end up with a dense, chewy, slightly
sticky crumb and a misshapen, lumpen loaf. I have tried varying the
amount of kneading in both directions, I'm careful (I think) about
the conditions for rising - I know it's vague, but is there some
rookie mistake I'm making here?

Third, taste.  The recipe calls for fresh yeast, and I'm not one to
argue - I've been using Red Star brand and I always check the dates
before I buy it - but the yeasty taste in the bread is always very
strong.  Again, is this a classic symptom of being a novice?  What
can I do to prevent the yeast from competing so assertively with the
chocolate flavor?

Please let me know also if I should just leave well enough alone -
she does say she loves it the way it is, but I can't help but feel
she'd love it even more, if only . . .

Thanks a million,
Dan Haracz