Sourdough Rye

"Tom" <sail_saba@cox.net>
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:34:31 -0700
v105.n041.15
Hi,

I am new to this list and have a few questions.  I just started
baking bread a few months ago because I wanted a good Rye bread with
caraway seeds.  I am following a recipe from the book Bread Alone
(Sourdough Rye with Caraway Seeds).  I have made this bread four
different times now and the bread has has an exellent flavor but is a
fairly dense bread (the recipe makes 3 round loaves each about 7"
x  3" and 24 to 27 oz).  I would like the bread to be lighter (i.e.,
a larger volume for the same mass) - how do I get the loaves to rise more.

I have tried adding gluten to the flour which gives the bread a
chewier texture but does not give rise to larger loaves.  Also
everything that I have read says that rye doughs will remain slightly
sticky and to be cautious about adding too much flour when
kneading.  Can someone tell me just how sticky is slightly
sticky?  The last batch I made more on the wet (i.e., sticky side)
and the loaves did seem to rise more but when I turned them over from
their proofing bowls to the peel they slumped (flattened out) - thus
I assumed this dough was too wet as it did not hold its shape.

Thanks in advance for any insight...Tom