re: Stovetop raised bread

Linda Badeen <linda.rose@comcast.net>
Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:33:17 -0400
v105.n042.4
Tom,
Tell your son to buy a cast iron dutch oven.  Using a dutch oven on a
gas ring will make a very fine substitute for an oven.  It's what
sourdoughs over the ages used to bake their bread in....except not a
gas fire, but a wood one.

I've done this camping before.  At home, he'll have to experiment as
to the height of the fire.  But, bread is amazingly resilient.  It
can be baked at a range of temperatures and still turn out quite
well. Probably a low/medium low would work best.   And, the oven
needs to be preheated slowly.

Find a wire grate that will fit inside the oven to raise a pan
slightly above the bottom and allow air circulation.  If he can't
find one to fit, a few clean, non porous stones work also.    Just
set a pan filled with bread dough on top of the grate or stones in
the preheated oven and cover the oven.  It's called a dutch OVEN
because it works quite well as such.

I find the most challenging part is finding a pan and a grate that
fits inside the oven.  And, figuring out how to get it out of the hot
oven without burning your fingers.

A possible inexpensive reference source:   Dutch Oven Cooking by John
G. Ragsdale   He has practical tips, quite a few bread recipes, and
many other recipes.

HTH,
Linda