Rolls to bake ahead

Ann McCann <amccann2@comcast.net>
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:23:07 -0400
v105.n044.2
Rosemary:

I've been partially baking and freezing dinner rolls for years.  Time
is so short on holidays!  I mostly use an old recipe from Anna
Thomas, Vegetarian Epicure part 2.  I like these because the fat/egg
content seems to help with keeping  in the freezer, although just
about any roll can be baked until set/just beginning to turn, then
frozen.  I take these straight out of the freezer and bake between
350-400 F for 3-5 minutes, until golden, then brush with butter.  I'm
even using this recipe in my hospice work for soft mini-sandwich buns!

1 Tbs. dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups warm milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
2 Tbs. sugar  (Anna said 4 Tbs., but that's really sweet)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water and combine in large bowl with warm
milk, egg, and a scant 2 cups flour.  Beat with an electric mixer
until the mixture is perfectly smooth.

Add sugar, melted butter, salt, beat again until smooth and glossy.

Stir in another cup of flour then turn out to knead with remaining
flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  (you want to keep a slack, soft dough for
softer rolls)

Make a ball, brush with butter and let rise until doubled.

Punch down, roll out, and form into rolls (I make simple knots with
about 1.5 oz. of dough)

Let rise for 25 min, or until doubled, brush with more melted butter
(often I omit this step), and bake at 425 F for 10 min, just until
they start to get golden, or if you are doing the brown and serve,
just until set, but not really brown.  Makes about 3 dozen rolls.

Good luck!
Ann