heating a 500F degree oven

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:27:46 -0800 (PST)
v105.n049.2
I hope this answers Lobo's question about heating the 500F degree
oven for 1 hour.

She offered to "bow to logic". I hope the answer is good enough to at
least get a nod of the head.

When your oven lets you know that the air temperature is 500F
degrees, that 's all that it is. The temperature probe extending into
the body of the oven recognizes that.

However, the walls, floor, and top are not yet that temperature. The
heat that will radiate from those walls after 15 minutes of heating
has not yet reached anywhere near 500.

One hour may seem a bit much but every second of those 45 minutes is needed.

Lest you think I am passing on an oldwives' tale....like don't
breathe when there is a sponge cake in the oven....I got this from
the chief of the Maytag service department who checked my new range
when I claimed that there was a problem with the thermostat.

I'll let someone else explain the dynamics of hydration and the flour!

I'm sure it will be delicious!

Fredericka