Re: Crunchier Pizza Crust

aqn@panix.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:07:28 -0500 (EST)
v106.n003.4
>I have a question.  How can I get my pizza dough to be
>crunchier?  My current recipe is a short dough.  5.5 cups of flour -
>half cup yellow cornmeal - 2 packets instant yeast - 4 tbls. Olive
>oil - half cup vegatable oil.

I don't have much pizza experience, but it struck me that there seems
to be a LOT of yeast in your crust dough.  What's 5.5 cups of flour?
Maybe 27-28 ozs.?  Two packets of instant yeast is about 5
tsps.  That seems a lot.  Maybe if you reduce the amount of yeast the
dough would not rise as much and be less bread-like?

I usually use 1.25% *active dry* yeast by weight in my French bread.
For your 28 ozs of flour, 1.25% yeast works out to about 1 1/2
packets of *active dry* yeast.  I would say try using just one packet
of instant yeast and see what happens...  (There's 20% more yeast in
the same amount of instant yeast than in active dry yeast.

Andy Nguyen