Re: Rye sourdough bread

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:08:59 -0700
v106.n004.3
THOS E SAWYER <jntsawyer@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>Subject: Rye sourdough bread
>Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:40:45 -0800 (PST)
>
>One of the best rye sourdough breads that I have ever baked is a
>recipe by Beatrice Ojakangas, in her _Whole Grain Breads by Machine
>or Hand_ cookbook. This is for a sourdough pumpernickel rye bread
>that begins w/making a rye sourdough starter.

I really like Beatrice Ojakangas' books.  However, sourdough is not
her long suit.  I can't consider this starting a sourdough starter,
since one of the ingredients is sourdough starter.  Where did it come
from? Also, if you maintain a sourdough starter well, you don't need
to use bakers yeast with the sourdough.

I took one of her recipes and modified it to use sourdough and posted
the results at http://www.sourdoughhome.com/bohemianrye.html

Of course, it is difficult to make a true sourdough in a bread
machine, which is why the original poster used the dough cycle of his
bread machine.

Mike