Kyle and Maggie Glezer's Sourdough Challah

Popthebaker@aol.com
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:19:42 EST
v106.n007.3
I can't agree more with Maggie's analysis and suggestions. I find
there are four indispensable tools in baking: an accurate scale,
dough whisk, bench knife, and Prolon or Cambro containers. Scales
with a capacity of 2 Kg (5 pound) have enough capacity for the
average home baker and run around $30, unless you shop at the very
high end kitchen stores. You can weigh ingredients directly into the
work bowl without having to clean measuring devices. I have found
that a dough whisk is the best implement for mixing any dough or
batter and are about $10 from King Arthur and possibly your local
kitchen store. A bench knife is the best implement for working with
dough on the bench and dividing dough.

Word of warning: You will find yourself using the scale for many
other things besides baking. I use mine to weigh pasta, coffee, meat,
and even as a postal scale.

Pop