Re: Digital Scales - Metric Accuracy

David A Barrett <Dave.Barrett@lawpro.ca>
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:13:44 -0500
v106.n009.13
One gram is, in fact, a very tiny amount and I suspect that it would
be of no consequence when measuring the volumes of water and flour
that typically go into a bread recipe.  For salt and yeast, however,
the 2 gram increments may introduce significant errors in
measurement.  My suggestion would be to use volume measurements for
these ingredients, since these ingredients probably vary less based
on random factors than do flour measurements. Obviously you would
need to compensate if you are using kosher salt and the recipe calls
for regular granulated salt.

One other thing, a gram is very hard thing to visualize.  How much is
a gram?  A teaspon or a tablespoon, on the other hand, is something
for which we all have a working knowlege.  This familiarity makes it
easier to perform the double-check for reasonableness that I'm sure
most of us do as we're adding ingredients.  "5 tablespoons of
salt?  Are you sure?"  It's much harder to do with tiny numbers of
grams of ingredients.

Dave Barrett