Digital Scales

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:35:44 -0700
v106.n009.18
Editor wrote:
 > [[ Editor's note: 1 gram is not very much.  1 tsp of water is 4.9
 > gm.  A scale that is precise enough to show 1 gm increments is
 > overkill for cooking.  Our digital scale displays 5 gm or 1/4 oz
 > increments.  1/4 oz = 7 gm ]]

Not always.  When I was running a commercial bakery, we made many
breads with preferments such as poolish and biga.  In a batch of
poolish big enough for 20 loaves of bread, I'd use something like 2.5
grams of yeast.

There is a certain amount of inaccuracy in digital scales.  When a
set of scales says "2 grams" it can be anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 grams
if the scales display by 2 gram increments.  Clearly, this was not
accurate enough for this purpose.

I wound up using a set of My Weigh MX-100 scales that are accurate to
0.1 gram from 0 to 100 grams.  I jokingly refer to them as my
drug-dealing scales.  I use them to weigh many minority ingredients,
such as salt, spices, herbs and so on.  Obviously, they are not for
use in measuring water or flour.

I have a second set of scales that I use for the larger ingredients,
a set of My Weigh shipping scales that will weigh up to 50 lbs in
grams, kilograms, ounces, or pounds.  They are accurate to 1 gram up
to 100 grams or so, 2 grams to 500 grams or so, and within 10 grams
over the rest of the range.

I've used "My Weigh" scales from vendors on eBay for a long time, and
I've been happy with them.  The price and the quality of the product
are both excellent.  I've tried "Digi Weigh" scales also and can not
recommend them.

Mike
...The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable
operating system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over
the world...

Mike Avery  			mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker			ICQ 16241692
networking guru			AIM mavery81230
wordsmith			Yahoo mavery81230