RE: Why Three Rises?

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 06:43:01 -0700
v106.n014.3
The bigger question in my mind is "why more than one rise?" I mean,
why let the yeast put all that gas in the dough...and then squish it
out?! (I have heard--but can't verify--that some large commercial
non-artisan bakeries use only one rise, i.e., uses processes that
shape the bread immediately after kneading. These would be soft
"Wonderbread-type" loaves.

As best I can tell, the main purposes of the first rise is to allow
extra time for the development of flavor and for the rising action to
develop the gluten beyond what occurred during kneading. (Some of
this also occurs during the preferment time, if any.

I have also heard that the punch down after the first rise
mechanically mixes up the dough to allow the yeast cells to be
exposed to more "food," since each cell has probably eaten up all the
food nearby. Also heard that the punch down equalizes the temperature
throughout the dough mass.

If my theory is correct then the purpose of the three rise method you
mentioned is probably to allow yet more time for flavor development.

Further, if my theory is correct, then the old adage, "let rise till
doubled in bulk" is not correct. We really don't care about how much
gas has been accumulated in the dough. We can probably pick the
duration of the first rise solely by the clock (assuming that the
temperature of the dough is correct).

Thoughts anyone?

Allen
home baker