Keeping shaped dough moist

Bri Suwa <brisuwa@yahoo.com>
Fri, 5 May 2006 14:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
v106.n019.5
Hi,

After following all the email thread on Sourdough I finally took my
step into making the sourdough starter. Thanks to all the tips and
discussions on top of the books that I have, I now have a sourdough
starter. Yeay ! Mike Avery, your website was a huge help too, Thanks.

Now, this adventure has created more questions in the sourdough
baking. I guess I'll pop the questions one at a time. First thing,
first: Working with instant yeast, I've never fermented anything
shaped for more than 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Fermenting this sourdough
bread I'm having difficulties in keeping the dough moist. I have a
nice dough that failed to rise to its fullest because at the end I
have a thick crust that does not allow the dough to rise further. If
I cover it with moist towel or saran wrap, the dough sticks to it and
it deflates as I peel them off the bread. The only thing I can think
of is to make a sealed cover big enough for the dough to rise. Do I
need to go there? If so, does the yeast need to have some air to
work? Can it work in an air tight environment?

What should I do?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-Brigitta