Re: big hole focaccia

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Sun, 7 May 2006 12:00:49 EDT
v106.n020.3
RVH, thank you for the kind mention. I do have to add that the dough
I beat for 20 minutes is a recipe adapted from Sullivan Street Bakery
and the reason it works to make big holes is that it is the most
super-hyrated dough I've ever encountered. But actually it doesn't
make big holes unless it's dimpled deeply after the shaped rise. So
it really is an exception. I just addressed the "hole" issue on my
blog today when someone wrote from another country that she doesn't
have access to what is probably the right flour for artisinal bread
baking. One of the things I mentioned is that to obtain big holes I
find it helps to under knead the dough--say only kneading for about 3
minutes and then to turn the dough twice or three times during the
first rise. I think I got that idea from our beloved Peter R. and it
really is a lovely method for gently developing gluten. Of course we
all know that over-developing gluten tightens the crumb. Just thought
I'd mention it anyway!

Best,
Rose (Levy Beranbaum)

P.S. Great news is that Gold Medal flour is launching an artisinal
bread this Fall formulated by Didier Rosado. It has been available
for food service for several years now and Peter and I have been two
of the people instrumental in persuading them to make it available to
the consumer. I'm proud to say that
my basic hearth bread recipe will be on each bag and thrilled that
I'll soon be able to go into the supermarket and pick up a 5 pound
bag instead of the usual 50 pounds I've been storing in my apartment!