Re: Whole grain quick breads

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:10:20 -0600
v106.n021.3
Hi Maze,

I have a really wonderful recipe for a quick bread that uses
Grapenuts cereal and whole wheat flour that my grandmother originally
had back in the 1940s. Grapenuts was one of the first cereals to show
up on grocery shelves in rural Wisconsin, and all the ladies in my
grandmother's neighborhood would pass this recipe around. I love it
for breakfast, toasted with butter or whipped cream cheese.

Grapenuts Bread (makes 2 8x5 loaves)

Preheat the oven to 350F; grease and flour two loaf pans

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup grapenuts cereal
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups All-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Soak the grapenuts cereal in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour, or
overnight in the fridge

Add the sugar, eggs, and salt to the buttermilk-cereal mix. Mix well
until combined

Whisk together the flours, baking soda, and baking powder. Pour the
dry over the liquid ingredients, and fold until the batter just comes
together but it's still lumpy with some streaks of flour (about 10 strokes)

Divide into loaf pans and bake until a toothpick comes out dry, about
45-60 minutes.