Re: Pizza in pan or on stone?

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:32:37 -0700
v106.n034.3
Judy Kennard <judykenn@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm puzzled by something.  My pizza crust recipe says to grease a
>dark pan with olive oil and put the crust in the pan.  I've seen it
>said here, to put it on a pizza stone.  Do you put the pan on the
>stone or the dough directly on the stone?  What would the difference
>in the end result be?  I should think the olive oil and hot pan
>would make the crust crispy, but does the stone make it more so?

To the best of my knowledge, they're just two different styles (both
delicious). I'm originally from Chicago where we put the dough in a
deep oiled pan to make deep dish pizza with a slightly fried crust.

Or put non-oiled dough on a non-oiled stone for traditional thin
crust. A properly pre-heated stone is like a battery for heat energy.
When the dough is placed on it it transfers lots of heat energy into
the dough very rapidly (much more rapidly than the hot air) and thus
makes crispy non-fried crust.

Other opinions?

Allen
San Francisco