Pizza in the pan vs pizza on the stone

Stephen Remer <stephen_remer@yahoo.com>
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
v106.n035.15
I use a Lodge cast iron griddle.  Mine is reserved only for pizza
use.  An hour before baking the pizzas, I put the griddle in the oven
on the lowest shelf and turn the heat up as high as it will go.  By
the time we bake, the griddle is rocket hot.  The pizzas come out
with a crust more like the wood fired ovens then I seem to get with a
stone.  The bottom is darker and more like the Neapolitan type places
I have been too.  Even at the same oven temp, the stone just doesn't
do as well I think.  I wish I knew why... it almost seems like the
iron transfers heat to the dough faster or something like that...