Unsealed breakfast brioche

"Shirley Lipscomb" <shirleyflipscomb@msn.com>
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:16:05 -0700
v106.n036.10
I have enjoyed this site and have learned a great deal as well as
trying many of the recipes posted.  I just finished baking a
breakfast brioche with a sugar and spice swirl.  This was a recipe I
obtained while attending a week long cooking class in Italy.  I
followed the instructions leaving a one inch border all around the
edges of the dough when brushing with butter and sprinkling the
cinnamon and sugar mix on.  I rolled it and pinched all seams to
completely seal.  Placed it seam side down for the second rise and
placed the two loaves in the oven.  All was going well, a good oven
spring and they were browning beautifully.  Next thing I smelled was
burning sugar.  Both loaves opened up a portion of the seam and the
cinnamon sugar syrup was escaping and bubbled over the top of the
bread pans.  Once cooled I cut into the bread and the swirl was there
and had not separated leaving a gap which has happened for other
swirl breads.  It was very pretty but I am asking for help as to why
it opened up allowing the mixture to escape.  Anyone?  The amount of
filling for two loaves was to brush with 50 grams unsalted butter and
sprinkle with a mixture of 120 grams sugar and 2 T. cinnamon.