convection cooking

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 04:59:55 -0800 (PST)
v106.n047.12
Gerald, I have enjoyed a Wolf in-wall double oven for several years
now.  It offers convection, but I still have choice -- it offers a
regular 'bake' mode as well.  So do be sure you know what you options
are.  The biggest thing about the convection is that the heat is more
even and is spread faster, so usually I set the temperature about 25
degrees below what the recipe recommends.  The evenness of the heat
distribution really minimizes the need to rearrange pans half-way
through; occasionally I do rearranage to get more perfect browning,
but often this isn't needed.  (Though after too many decades of
baking, it's hard to restrain my hands!)  With the slightly lower
setting, I usually don't need to change the baking time for bread.

If you're roasting meat or a bird, you might want to take advantage
of the time compression and leave the temperature where it's
specified; the protein will cook just a little faster.  In the
beginning, just pay closer-than-usual attention to how the dish is
progressing; it's possible to have food that's done on the outside
but NOT done on the inside -- a special disappointment if it's your
favorite loaf!  Hope your investment pays off in many wonderful
loaves...keep us posted!