No Knead Bread - Yeast

RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:51:41 -0800 (PST)
v106.n048.13
I haven't tried the recipe yet. I agree though, that there is quite a
difference between rapid rise yeast and instant yeast. The instant
yeast is the stuff used for breadmachines (such as SAF Red) and the
rapid rise yeast is the Fleischman's stuff which is supposed to be
used in pizza dough, I think. It is supposed to be used in breads
that are made in a single day, not ones that are supposed to sit and
get their taste from the yeast - like artisanal breads with sponges
and starters. Those takes, sometimes days, to get their flavor and to bake.

I haven't used rapid rise yeast in years. I use strictly the SAF Red,
which I buy in 1 lb packages from King Arthur and I keep it in the
freezer. I keep about 5 loaves worth out of the freezer at a time. I
have this jar I use for the yeast in the cabinet. The rest is
well-wrapped and put in the freezer. I feed off of it as the year
goes on. I bake about 3-7x a month, maybe more, depending on the
season.  I make 1 loaf of Garlic Bubble Loaf every other week, on the
even numbered weeks I make focaccia, pizza dough, and other breads -
whole grain loaves, and anything that interests me. I find that the
SAF works fabulously in everything I make. I haven't used any other
yeast in years. I found that Fleischman's didn't work well in my
machine. I used to use Red Star before I found SAF. It worked quite
well. Even in ABM loaves.

When I try the No Knead Bread from Mark Bittman, I'll post my
results. Should I use my Le Creuset Oval Casserole? It is 4 quart I think.

RisaG
Risa's Food Service
http://www.geocities.com/radiorlg