Re: whole wheat no-knead

debunix <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:27:40 -0600
v107.n002.5
>nobody has reported success with 100% whole wheat, even white whole wheat.

Depends on your definition of success, I think.  I've made delicious
bread with fresh-milled 100% hard white wheat, much, much tastier
than I've gotten using all-purpose flour.  I've had a hard time
getting the central crumb to 210 degrees, and it's not been a super
light loaf, but it does have a lovely crust, tasty crumb, and gets
gobbled up reasonably quickly.  I call that a success, although
perhaps not everyone would agree.

With my latest loaf, I went back to his 2nd column where he gave
proportions of 430g flour and 370g water (I had been using 450g flour
and 400g water, using my not-perfectly-precise rule-of-thumb
conversion of 150g wheat before milling per 1C flour, and measuring
the 1 5/8 C water as 400g on my scale).  This loaf came out a little
uneven, with smaller holds in the center of the crumb, and the crumb
remains a bit wet, but it was lovely for breakfast this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debunix/sets/72157594452135251/

--diane in st. louis