Yeast

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Tarheel Boy)
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:52:37 -0500
v107.n003.14
No!  No!  No!  Rapid-rise yeast is not the same as Instant
Yeast.  RRY has chemicals added to it to make it rise in half the
time it takes for active dry yeast and instant yeast to rise.  In
addition, the yeast cells die quicker so there is really just enough
oomph for one rise. Rapid-rise should not be used by artisan bread
bakers who believe long, slow rises contribute both flavor and structure.

The "instant" in instant yeast refers to the rate at which this type
of yeast absorbs water.  If you could look at each one of those rods
of yeast under a microscope, you would see that each one has the
characteristics of a sponge: many openings, holes and voids that
allow water to readily come into contact with the yeast, thus
allowing it to hydrate. This feature allows the instant yeast to
simply be put into dough, along with all the other ingredients,
without pre-hydration. The fact the yeast is dry allows it to be used
in dry mixes for pizza dough or in goody bags containing salt and sugar.

As for "no-knead" bread, I believe there are too many good recipes
out there just waiting to be baked for me to fool around with the
latest fad. Besides, I have always enjoyed the kneading aspect of
bread making. ;-))))

Bob the Tarheel Baker